Uganda Job Opportunities – Collections Supervisor
Main Purpose of the Role
The main purpose of the role will include the following:
- Supervise and oversee the daily activities of the early and pre-legal stage in-country collections team to ensure the accurate processing and collections of payments within targeted and budgeted requirements.
- Provide guidance and information to the in-country collections team, including the in-country late stage collections team, to improve their collections success and ensure Standard Operating Procedures (“SOPs”) are followed when Internal and External Trace is done.
- Compile daily, weekly and monthly reports to meet reporting requirements and to ensure the availability of timely, accurate and correctly presented information to support business decision making.
Key Deliverables of the Collections Supervisor
- Manage the entire first line collections function by interacting with, and collecting payments from, cost centres (Private and Ministries).
- Supervise the collections team in achieving their, and the collections division’s, Key Performance Indicators (“KPIs”) in line with set collection rates and client service requirements.
- Maintain comprehensive and accurate records of all collections actions taken and maintain such records in the appropriate format and on the appropriate systems.
- Ensure failed collections are analysed and categorized in a timely manner and that appropriate actions are taken, and followed through, by the local collections team.
- Achieve collections targets for the assigned portfolio, follow up on partials NPLs and ensure payments.
- Ensure prompt approval of deductions and payments/remittances to keep accounts out of arrears or provisions at acceptable levels.
- Timeously secure payment schedules/byproducts to facilitate apportionment of funds, and submission of company correspondences such as Requisition of Deductions and Non- Remittance/Demand Letters.
- Collect uncreditworthy clients’ data from votes and forward the data for verification and blacklisting.
- Carry out validation of NPAs with the intent of identifying the cause of default which helps determine appropriate recovery interventions.
- Work closely with the Collections Manager through regular interaction and reporting to meet the Company requirements.
- Build and manage relationships with key government officials within key ministries, as well as within the Accountant General’s Office, and with key parastatal and private Human Resource Offices (“HRs”).
- Strengthen and maintain good relationships with Payroll Officers, Accounting Officers and Heads of Departments.
- Provide back-up service to the Payment Solutions Team.
The Collections Supervisor will report to the Collections Manager with a reporting function to the Regional Collections Manager.
We seek the following in our desired candidate:
- A relevant tertiary qualification (such as a B Com Degree) is preferred.
- Preference will be given to candidates with applicable certificates in Collections and Credit Management.
Experience / Background Preference
- The company will only look at candidates who have no less than THREE years relevant, working experience of which at least two should have been in a similar role.
- Government payroll and/or other payroll loan collections experience is essential.
- Ugandan Microlending or related financial services experience is essential.
- Knowledge of Uganda laws relating to financial services, particularly with regard to Microlending, is essential.
- A strong command of English, both written and verbal is a requirement of the job.
The successful candidate will need to demonstrate the following ability:
- Self-assurance and a confident manner.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Proven people management and leadership skills.
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to assess complex situations and use creativity to solve problems.
- Strict attention to detail.
- Established negotiation skills.
- Strong presentation skills.
- A self-starter who shows initiative and assumes responsibility for projects.
- Proven ability to operate independently and exercise significant latitude for independent judgement, discretion and action.
- Ability to prioritise and handle multiple tasks within strict time frames within a fast-paced environment.
- High energy levels.
- The ability to debate in a constructive manner and to challenge conventional wisdom.
- The ability to build strong relationships with team members, company management and clients.
The position is based at our Uganda Head Office located at Shop 24, Northern Wing, First Floor, Workers House, Pilkington Road, Kampala.
An annual cost to company remuneration package, which will be commensurate with the technical skills and experience of the successful candidate.
If you do not hear from us within two weeks, please consider your application for this particular vacancy unsuccessful. In this instance, please be assured that we shall retain your application and will be in touch should a suitable opportunity arise in the future.