Malawi Job Opportunities – Deputy Chief Executive Officer
Main purpose of the role
The Deputy Chief Executive Officer (“CEO”) will, in conjunction with the CEO, be expected to play a lead role in the day-to-day running of the business in Malawi including providing direction and leadership toward the achievement of the organisation’s strategic business plan objectives and annual goals.
Key Deliverables of the Deputy CEO
- Growth and development of the Select business within Malawi:
- Prepare and continuously maintain a comprehensive business plan and annual budget.
- In association with the support services at the Select Head Office in Johannesburg, develop and implement sales and marketing campaigns in order to drive loan book growth in a cost effective manner and in-line with set targets.
- In association with the support services at the Select Head Office in Johannesburg, develop and implement appropriate operational strategies and plans.
- In association with the support services at the Select Head Office in Johannesburg, develop and implement appropriate collections management strategies and plans.
- Financial, Tax and Risk oversight:
- As per point 1(a) above, recommend a yearly budget for Board approval and prudently manage the organisation’s resources within the budgeted guidelines and relevant laws and regulations.
- Manage the results and resources of the company in accordance with approved budgets.
- Ensure that the operation is up to date on all relevant legislation and regulations and report appropriately and timeously to all relevant authorities.
- Human Capital:
- Effectively manage Human Capital in accordance with a high performance culture and within authorised policies and procedures.
- Oversee the development of Select Malawi’s staff in all areas to ensure their growth and harmonious integration into the teams.
- Provide relevant training and development to all staff to ensure that they are competent in their respective roles.
- Recruit and hire effective staff in order to grow the company and achieve stated goals. Manage the performance of the team and their results.
- Community and Public Relations:
- Ensure that the image of the organisation is consistently presented in a strong and positive light to relevant stakeholders.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with Government and the private sector.
- Glean market intelligence through developing a network of contacts.
- Develop and maintain relationships with potential and existing local funders
- Organizational culture, values and reputation:
- Maintain and develop our corporate culture, values and reputation in the market and with our staff, customers, suppliers, partners and regulatory bodies.
- Enhance processes and infrastructure to allow the organisation to grow and achieve its goal.
- Work with Group IT to ensure ongoing maintenance and readiness of office information systems and infrastructure.
- Manage physical infrastructure, as well as all data and intellectual property, within the domain.
- Office Management: Oversee day-to-day administrative functions to ensure smooth daily operations.
- Report to the Shareholders/Board and the Executive Management Team on organisational plans and performance.
The Deputy CEO will report to the CEO, Malawi.
We seek the following in our desired candidate:
- A relevant tertiary qualification is essential.
- A post graduate qualification will be advantageous.
Experience / Background Preference
- The company will only look at candidates who have no less than FIVE to TEN years relevant, working experience.
- Extensive experience in the financial services sector is essential.
- Experience in the Microfinance industry will be advantageous.
- Previous exposure to Africa will be highly advantageous.
- Solid management, accounting and legal skills are essential.
- Previous Collections experience will be advantageous.
- Knowledge of Malawi and general Microfinance laws relating to financial services, particularly with regard to Microlending is essential.
- A strong command of English, both written and verbal is a requirement of the job.
The successful candidate will need to demonstrate the following:
- Determination to win and be the best.
- Extraordinary and proven people management and leadership skills, preferably with people from different cultures and countries.
- Above average EQ and substantial experience in the leadership of teams.
- Self-assurance and a confident manner.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to engage with clients at the highest level of decision-making.
- The ability to influence and persuade others.
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to assess complex situations and use creativity to solve problems.
- Established negotiation skills.
- Strong presentation skills.
- A self-starter who is proactive, shows initiative, displays high levels of self-motivation and assumes responsibility for projects.
- Proven ability to operate independently and exercise significant latitude for independent judgment, discretion and action.
- Strong time management skills – the ability to prioritise and handle multiple tasks within strict time frames within a fast-paced environment.
- High energy levels.
- Strict attention to detail.
- Strategic thinking.
- The ability to debate in a constructive manner and to challenge conventional wisdom.
- The ability to build strong relationships with team members, company management and clients.
- A strong work ethic.
- Be alert to changing situations, show flexibility in approach, adaptability in difficult circumstances and continuously strive to achieve meaningful results.
The position is based at our Malawi Head Office currently located at Ground Floor, Centre House Arcade, Robert Mugabe Crescent, Lilongwe.
By nature of this position, traveling will be required and valid driver’s license is a requirement for this position. In this particular role, travel will be required to branches and satellite branches within Malawi as well as travel to other countries from time to time.
An annual cost to company remuneration package, which will be commensurate with the technical skills and experience of the successful candidate.
Please forward applications to Tracey Strong: firstname.lastname@example.org If you do not hear from us within two weeks, please consider your application for this particular vacancy unsuccessful. In this nstance, please be assured that we shall retain your application and will be in touch should a suitable pportunity arise in the future.