Lesotho Job Opportunities – Statutory & Compliance Officer
Main Purpose of the Role
The main purpose of the role will be to administer statutory functions and implement and administer Compliance Management for Lesana Lesotho Limited.
- Administer compliance by the company with the Companies Act and all related legislation.
- Ensure compliance with corporate governance guidelines, codes and regulations.
- Arrange meetings of the directors and shareholders in line with the group’s finance calendar and in compliance with the Companies Act and relevant legislation.
- Issue notices of meetings, preparation of agenda, circulation of relevant papers and taking and producing minutes to record the business transacted at the meetings and the decisions taken.
- Prepare and file annual returns.
- Submit all regulatory filings relating to changes in the company’s share capital, shareholders, directors, officers, and all other company related information.
- Attend and minute exco and management meetings as may be required.
- Bank administration support.
- Together with the Group Compliance Officers, perform compliance planning, develop compliance policies and procedures and collaborate closely with the operations teams as required.
- Review and monitor internal practices and procedures to ensure compliance with regulatory and Group requirements and current policies.
- Analyse and report on all new or proposed rules or regulations being introduced that may have an impact on the business.
- Liaise with Regulators.
- Review all regulatory interactions received from the Regulator, coordinate responses, draft necessary communications, and ensure that regulatory submissions and replies are filed timeously.
- Manage on-site inspections and manage the report backs to Regulators.
- Liaise with internal business divisions to ensure sound understanding of compliance requirements and governance issues.
- Advise management and relevant personnel of emerging compliance issues.
- Provide input to the Group in terms of the establishment of controls to mitigate risks.
- Update, monitor and report on compliance related matters (breaches, material incidents, near misses) and Compliance reports to management and the Group Compliance Officers.
- Conduct Anti-Money Laundering (AML) assessments, monitoring, screening, reporting and ensure that processes and systems meet company policies and procedures as well as regulatory requirements.
- In cooperation with the Internal Audit team, schedule and conduct compliance audits and reviews.
- Conduct compliance checks on documents and sign off on behalf of compliance (i.e. KYC checks).
- Ensure that all employees receive the required compliance training on an ongoing basis.
The Compliance Officer will report to the Group Head of Compliance and Chief Executive Officer for Lesana.
We seek the following in our desired candidate:
- A relevant undergraduate qualification (BA LLB or similar degree is preferable).
- A relevant Compliance Officer’s Examination will be advantageous.
Experience / Background Preference
- Candidates will have no less than three years relevant experience.
- Experience within the financial services industry is essential.
- Familiarity with and knowledge of the compliance and regulatory requirements of a financial institution operating in Africa will be advantageous.
- A strong command of English, both written and verbal, is a requirement of the role.
The successful candidate will need to demonstrate the following:
- Self-assurance and a confident manner.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Established negotiation skills and sound judgement.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks within strict time frames within a fast-paced environment.
- Strong attention to detail.
- A self-starter who shows initiative and assumes responsibility for projects.
- Ability to work independently.
- A ‘team player’ who interacts confidently with senior management, clients and professional advisors.
- A strong work ethic.
The position is based at our Lesotho office located at 4 th Floor, Block C, LNDC Building, Kingsway, Maseru.
An annual cost to company remuneration package, which will be commensurate with the technical skills and experience of the successful candidate.
Please forward applications to Tracey Strong: firstname.lastname@example.orgIf you do not hear from us within two weeks, please consider your application for this particular vacancy unsuccessful. In this instance, please be assured that we shall retain your application and will be in touch should a suitable opportunity arise in the future.